Thursday, January 13, 2011

Valentines Day...

Yes i know, that's not until Febuary but hear me out.

On valentines day I will be taking part in a smaller scale tournament at a hobby shop I know. The event is the "Valentines Day Massacre" and I had a ball two years ago. The system is simple, roll of with your opponent for mission, don't touch the terrain at your table, just play your game and whoever wins, wins. Tie breakers are VPs.

As you can guess this is an awesome experience, no comp, no subjective battle points, and after the tournament their is a painting contest.

Here is the catch though... it will either be 1250 or 1500pts.

Now I like 1500pts, I can break out my Predator Spam...but 1250?

Such a weird number, I think it has to do with the fact that the one guy who always plays there likes that level as his Nurgle army is hard to kill. (surprisingly they are) Now I see that kind of challenge as a wonderful opportunity to get some fun games in. I like to think of what I could use for that poor level of play.

Sounds like a wonderful series of Articles to get me started, I'll make a few lists and examine these lower levels and see what I come up with.

2 comments:

  1. Tell me about it, I had to play 1250 twice about 6 weeks ago and just had no idea where to begin or end.

    I was not happy with my list in the end. But I have thought about it, I'd like to see your thoughts as well.

    Tbh I am really starting to think I need to have 750 / 1000 / 1250 point lists on hand at all times just because some guys, especially people getting new armies, just cant field even 1500 (hell even 500 might be handy to have) and there are times where I go down for a game but thats the only option you get.

    I have to say since those games I gave it a bit more thought and really kicked myself for not going with something a bit closer to;

    Libby
    x3 RAS MG's w/ Razors (lasplas)
    x3 Baals - AC no sponsons
    x2 dakka's - auto/hb
    Then from there I can either add sponsons to the baals or add in another dakka pred. Think its about 1230 or 1240 depending on the variant. Combi's / hand flamers or whatever can fill the rest. But just feels like a slightly more stripped down version of my list (dropping a razor and autolas pred's basically).

    But really I think its a good series to go down, especially the transitions in gaps like 750 and 1000, I mean, how many troops? do you set weapons up differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking at this from the standpoint of both the Blood Angels and the Space Wolves. I find the challenge exhilarating.

    ReplyDelete