Saturday, October 30, 2010

How I Work this Thing: Part2

OK kids, now its time for my first lesson in our wonderful journy of gore-filled slaughter with little toy soligers.

How I Work this Thing: Part2
 
The flow of an army is vital to the working of a list, that much we all know. So today I will go over what went through my mind slapping this list together and how I got here. First thing is my prototype, when the Space Wolf Codex came out I had just finished my 30 terminator Chaos Space Marine army which looked like this.

HQ: Abbadon 275pts

Elite: 8 Terminators 2w Chain Fists, 5w Combi-Meltas, 1 with dual lightning claws, Mark of Khorn 335pts

Elite: 8 Terminators 2w Chain Fists, 4w Combi-Meltas, 1 with dual lightning claws, Mark of Khorn 330pts

Elite: 8 Terminators 2w Chain Fists, 4w Combi-Meltas, 1 with dual lightning claws, Mark of Khorn 330pts

Troop: 5 Berzerkers w Rhino 140pts

Troop: 5 Berzerkers w Rhino 140pts


Hvy: 2 Obliterators 150pts


Hvy: 2 Obliterators 150pts


Hvy: 2 Obliterators 150pts

Total 2000pts

This was competitive for me about a year and a half ago. Now this is a fun list I pull out for kicks. But as the Space Wolf codex came out I wanted to try the all terminator list with the Logan Wing and this came out.

HQ Logan Grimnar 275pts

Troop: 10 Terminators, 2 w Cyclone ML, 2 w Chain Fists 420pts

Troop: 10 Terminators, 2 w Cyclone ML, 2 w Chain Fists Arjac Rockfist 600pts

Troop: 5 Terminators, 1w Cyclone ML, 1 w Chain Fist 210pts
Land Raider 250pts

Troop: 5 Terminators, 1w Cyclone ML, 1 w Chain Fist 210pts

Total 2000pts

This gave me some fun times but it still wasn't cutting it for me. After a while I got bored and I picked up a Thunderwolf list (you'll see more of this later this week). I picked the concept up again when Stelek announced that he was making lists for Ard boyz. I looked at his recient concept for Logan Wing at the time and saw that I had the models to put it together as a nice Khorn counts as army. I contaacted him and got the first Ard Boyz list he made which was this.


I didnt end up going to Ard Boyz due to a good family friend falling down a mountain and breaking his back, yeah, it sucks. This did get me interested in how the list functioned and with out Ard Boyz I was able to study and test it to figure what made it good despite the massive amounts of missles. I first had to drop it down to 2000pts and banish the psyker to hell (stupid coward, Khorn hates you). I removed the extra HQ choices and the ten man squad to give the army some room to wiggle around in and came up with what I have now,


HQ Logan Grimnar 275pts

HQ: Wolf Guard Battle Leader w Runic Armor, Wolf Claw, Combi-Melta,   170pts
Thunderwolf mount  Saga of the Majesty

Elite: Lone wolf, termi armor w C-Fist,S-Shield, 2 Fenrisian Wolves 105pts

Elite: Lone wolf, termi armor w C-Fist,S-Shield, 1 Fenrisian Wolves 95pts

Elite: Lone wolf, termi armor w C-Fist,S-Shield, 1 Fenrisian Wolves 95pts

Troop: 4 Wolf Guard, 1 Terminator w Cyclone-ML and C-Fist 150pts

Troop: 4 Wolf Guard, 1 Terminator w Cyclone-ML and C-Fist 150pts

Troop: 4 Wolf Guard, 1 Terminator w Cyclone-ML and C-Fist 150pts

Troop: 4 Wolf Guard, 1 Terminator w Cyclone-ML and C-Fist 150pts

Fast Attack: 1 Thunder Wolf w P-Fist and S-Shield 105pts

Fast Attack: 1 Thunder Wolf w P-Fist and S-Shield 105pts

Fast Attack: 1 Thunder Wolf w P-Fist and S-Shield 105pts

Heavy Support: 5 Long Fangs, 4 Missile Launchers 115pts

Heavy Support: 5 Long Fangs, 4 Missile Launchers 115pts

Heavy Support: 5 Long Fangs, 4 Missile Launchers 115pts

Total                                                                                       2000pts


Im going to go over the basics of how it works later but for now lets keep this simple,

I have 15 units, 4 scoring units, 7 shooting units, 11 units that can fight in close combat, 7 mini close combat characters (four of which move as calvery ), 5 units that can move and fire Hvy weapons (Logan makes a long fang squad relentless), 3 that can split fire, 2 that can make my army not run away with re rolls on leadership, and only one unit is over 200pts. Do you see where I am going with this. This list has so many different rolls the units can fill out. I can keep the everything moving in a nice flow and can work on a reactionary basis.

All of my units can move on the board and shoot except the two long fang squads that Logan does not get to use, allowing the army to play the reserves game if I want to. This list plays very fluidly, changing shape and strategy to best fit the moment.

It is a great shooting army with 20 missile launcher, and a wonderful close combat army with 12 units with power or chain fists. It fits anywhere I need it to be.

The other part is that it is all foot, yet still modile. My opponents dont know what to do with all their short range, one shot, death guns that fail when I am shooting you across the board with misilles. It also gives my opponents a hard time with target priority as it doesn't have one big death unit to base itself around, go ahead and kill that one 150pt unit right there, I have a bunch more waiting.

This list shows the example of how a good list is supposed to run, with a sense of purpose and unity. So lesson one is this, know why you are deploying what you are deploying when you play a game. Remember, list building is just as important as playing, painting and modeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment